Review – Music: O Lux Beatissima
Some many years ago in 2005, I had innocently picked up the CD “O Lux Beatissima” just so I could learn the Missa de Angelis (Mass VIII). And I only bought the CD just for those 4 tracks (Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus & Agnus Dei). Little did I know, that over the years, I would repeatedly access the tracks that were available on the rest of the album as my knowledge for Gregorian Chant expanded.
I would say that this would be a great starting place for any one new to the chants of the Church for the following reasons:
- the Ordinaries of Missa Simplex and Missa de Angelis are available together with Credo III & Pater Noster
- it incorporates 3 of the Seasonal Marian Anthems (Regina Caeli, Alma Redemptoris Mater, Salve Regina)
- you can listen to the Sequences for Easter (Victimae Paschali Laudes) and Pentecost (Veni Sante Spiritus)
- the chants accompanying the Sprinkling Rites are available in both Eastertide (Vidi Aquam)and outside of Eastertide (Asperges Me)
- Palm Sunday’s “Hosanna filio David” is on the album
- Holy Thursday’s “Ubi Caritas” and “Pange Lingua Gloriosi” is also available
- Popular Marian hymns (Ave Maria, Ave Maris Stella)
- Hymns to accompany Eucharistic devotions / adorations (O Salutaris Hostia, Jesu Dulcis Memoria, Ave Verum Corpus, Adoro Te Devote)
- Requiem Masses (In Paradisum, Lux Aeterna, Requiem Aeternam)
Just by being familiar with the above selections, would allow any chorister to stand in good steed for serving at the various liturgies accompanying the Roman Rite.
The album also has the English translations for the Latin that is sung in the tracks to aid with the listener’s comprehension and understanding of the Latin.
Such are the beautiful discoveries that I encounter as I appreciate in hindsight how I had stumbled upon these resources unknowingly, but now hold dearly.
Kenneth Wee has been with the SPP Choir since 1999 and is currently serving as the Music Director of the Choir. He conducts the choir most of the time and plays the organ some of the time, while taking care of his two young children all of the time.